Jan 27, 2010

Day 66. On Your Own Day.




I woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck. A Little bit annoyed with all the "healthy" steps I have been taking in the physical world. Patience, I tell myself and then, Emma and I snuggled in bed watching and sleeping our way through Little Bear a little bit longer than normal. Remember that post where I said I was starting school at a certain time? I haven't done it once. Remember the post where I said I was lesson planning on Wednesday nights? I haven't once done that either. BUT the beautiful thing is, I realized I have been beating myself up for not doing these things and then I suddenly realized WHO CARES? We have been doing school, getting our work done, getting good grades, and learning...so CHILL. It's not the exact way I want to do it, but it's getting there.

For someone who likes perfection, I quickly realized the guilt vortex I could be jumping into with homeschooling. Any lesson, any subject, any day, I could beat myself up for not doing it good enough. I will not go there, or at least I am trying not to. Cameron, Taylor, Emma, and I are making distinct progress in this new way of learning and the progress will continue to come. Improvement should always come with each year that we choose to school our kids at home and for that matter, each year that we choose to send them to school.

I needed a little change up today...so, I decided to declare it "On Your Own" day. I provided each child with a list of their work and the rules were simple....get it done before bed. No nagging from me and you give me your word it will be done and done well. Also know that I am available to help you at any point today that you need help on your work, or have a question. It was quickly agreed upon and we were off.

Those little loves of my life, sat down (at their desks) and attacked their assignments with ZERO complaining, rolling of the eyes, or heavy sighing. They all chose to finish their work first, so that they can go play. Hmmm. There are so very many things I could analyze about that.

They all finished before lunch and then asked..."Does on your own day mean making your own lunch?" In a split second decision, I brilliantly answered  "Yes Baby, it does...."

Now there is just 104 school days left before summer.



2 comments:

  1. I think you should have more of those days!!! Great idea Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ut oh, be very careful...you are starting to sound like a "homeschooler"! Lol. Remember that conversation last fall?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!