Sep 1, 2009

Classroom.




















I love to decorate. I always have. I am completely affected by my surroundings...they can change my mood. My biggest fear of homeschool was that I would not be able to find the discipline required to pull out a basket and sit at the dining room table to "do school". While I am sure there will be days that we will leave our classroom and go snuggle by the fire to be completely enthralled with our lessons on place value, I can't imagine not having a classroom.

I am finding that the reasons people choose to homeschool, vary, so very much. Our decision to do this, was not for a desire to leave the traditional classroom setting. I never know what God has in store, but our plan is for all three of our kids to re enter Bradshaw next fall. Because of this, it was very important to me to continue their education as closely as I could pull off to "real school". My kids don't know that having a desk is something that their mom gets teased about by veteran homeschool moms. While I totally get it, they would never understand. We have taken the best parts of all the awesome ideas of BCS teachers and implemented them into our room. My son's favorite part is that "the walls are not white"...man, I love that kid.

So, our spare bedroom was an office split between Shawn and I. We entered the great room switch several weeks ago. When all is said and done...we lost a play room and gained a classroom. Shawn still has his office and I have my desk in our classroom. It's all good. It works perfect for us.

I went on a scavenger hunt in my own house, stalked Craig's list and garage sales, and splurged a bit at Lakeshore...some new paint, some fishies from Walmart, and voila a classroom. It looks disturbingly chaotic in these photos, but in real life it feels super comfy to us. It's a bigger room behind our garage and we love it. Its full of plenty of things to occupy all three of them, while their mom turned teach tries to figure out how to integrate three curriculums into one seamless day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!