Sep 16, 2009

Day 8. Mission Accomplished.


Today was a longer day of school, as we played catch up. The goal was to have all subjects completed up to lesson 8. We made it.

I am finding it tempting and sometimes easier, to send the kids with their text book to their desk to complete their work alone. While that is important and necessary sometimes, it cannot be the norm. Besides, if I did that daily, I would have missed learning that Juan Ponce de Leon (not to be confused with Wipe Out's infamous DeDe Wong of Hong Kong) went in search of the fountain of youth along the coast of Florida. He never found it and ironically died in the process. More Importantly, I would have missed the utter delight in my kid's faces when they learned that someone was actually named Amerigo Vespucci.

We talked about the fact that when these now famous explorers discovered new lands, it wasn't real easy for them to spread the word immediately, like we do now. They couldn't call anyone. They couldn't text anyone. Taylor was like..."oh yeah...I never thought of that. That would be weird if when Christopher Columbus discovered America he posted it on Facebook"....

Something to think about. Just 162 school days until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!