Sep 30, 2009

Day 17. Have Patience.






Today was all about the class store. The last school day of each month is shopping time. The kids were beyond excited. So much so, that I was nervous as to what they were expecting. We did half of our school work, had a break, and then came in to shop. It was fascinating to watch.

Each child has a specific grand prize that only they can purchase. A 75% off Wii fishing game for Cameron, that cost me $9.98. A formal dress with a fur jacket for each of the girls dolls. The outfits cost me $12.00 a piece, after 40% off coupons at Joanns. There is 2 grand prizes a year. One now and one in Feb. These grand prizes are 75 sticks each. The other items cost me $15 and vary in stick pricing. Lots of goodies were donated by grandma.

Cameron had 34 sticks and spent 7. Taylor had 39 sticks and spent 12. Emma had 34 sticks and spent 13.

I was trying to make this store time, age appropriate for all 3 of them. Give them rewards for their hard work, but also teach them about saving and waiting. Emma ended up in tears as she was frustrated and not understanding why she couldn't buy her dollie outfit now. I explained it to her and the tears increased. "Emma, why are you so upset?" I asked. She blurted out between tears "I want my dollie outfit now. I don't want to wait. It's too hard and its not what I want to do." She's in touch with her feelings, I must give her that one. I found myself getting disappointed a bit because of her attitude until I realized that I am very guilty of this same thing on a very regular basis. I can only imagine God knowing all the good and perfect gifts He has for me and I get grumpy because I want them NOW! It's too hard to wait. Nice reminder for me.

I had everyone sit in a circle and start naming the good things about the situation. Quickly the tears went away and the smiles came back. The focus changed from the bad to the good. In every situation you will always find both. What you choose to focus on is up to you. I found myself teaching Emma the very thing I needed to remember today. "Trust me little one, all your treasures will come. There are just some things you need to learn first." With that done, there is just 153 school days left until summer.

1 comment:

  1. Yet another reason why I found you to be amazing. I love you. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!