Oct 13, 2009

Day 25. To Each His Own.


One thing that has always been super important to me, ever since the kids were born, was to give them permission to be good at something as well as permission to need to work at something. We can always improve and we can always struggle. Its o.k. You are loved unconditionally in this house. We are all different.

Cameron is my inquisitive child. He misses nothing. He is a human sponge. Taylor was born to demonstrate the meaning of the phrase "stop and smell the roses". Her contentedness with life is inspiring. Then Emma... the level to which she jumps in at whatever she is doing is unparalleled. One of my friends says she goes from zero to psycho in seconds. It's both her greatest asset and her biggest weakness. Shawn has a quiet peace about him and a passion inside that gets brought to life every time he steps on a stage to lead people in worship. He is my rock. I, on the other hand, have nothing quiet about me. I can't get enough of people. I love loud, fun, and adventure.

I think that it is so important, even as adults to know your God given strengths and know your weaknesses. To genuinely accept both about yourself. I have tried to instill this in our kids by regularly, but not too frequently, talking openly about this.

Boy this is testing me right now. Self control is an issue. Perfectionism is the culprit. I pray daily for wisdom in how to help my son grow in this area. The pace that school work is getting accomplished is dramatically different between my kids. Now that the "remember what you learned last year period is over", our classroom has had a different tone. Doing things that are difficult has proven to be a lot harder than doing things that are easy. It has been unbelievable to me to witness so clearly how fast having a negative attitude can suck positive results right out from under you. Teachers have an interesting perspective and seriously I have a new found respect for them. One of my friends said to me at the start of the school year..."Wow, you are going to learn a lot this year." My response "like you wouldn't believe". I pray that I don't miss a thing. I pray that I not let my negative attitudes get in the way of what the Lord wants to do in my heart and in the hearts of my family. I pray that this year I can devote the time, patience, and wisdom to help all my kids make huge strides in their growth as uniquely created children of God.

Just 145 school days until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!