Feb 2, 2010

My Armoire.







My first time of doing a BIG piece of furniture. I fell in love with Eddie's delicious blue armoire and had to attempt it. You can see her fab creation here and get a tutorial. It was a bit hard for me to do because I LOVED the current piece as it was, but knew that love would be taken to a level of obsession if I could pull of the deep turquoise color with half as much skill as Eddie. I will probably be playing with the final finished look for days. Sanding, dry brushing....its kinda addicting to find just the right balance.

It lives in our classroom now and is a great addition. It is surrounded right now by other half finished projects that I need to complete. The color is so fabulous, it makes me happy.

I did not sand this piece to start with and clearly should have. So the candle technique as explained in Eddie's post, did not really quite work out this time.  In addition, the post sanding attempt is a bit tricky as well without peeling the paint. So, I had to resort to some dark brown paint and dry brushing. Live and learn.

And p.s. I am in desperate need of photography lessons, but you get the idea. I am saving for those as we speak....I need someone to verbally teach me. I am too impatient to learn from books (and yes I am homeschooling my 3 kids, kinda scary huh?)

Here was the before,



I am linking up with 



 



11 comments:

  1. I love it painted so much better than the original wood. You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that maeover. The blue you chose is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, it turned out soooo good!! the color is just divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes on a whole other personality in the blue. Looks like it came from a personal designer house.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh.my.word! It looks fantastic Darcy. And I would love to steal that piece right outta your house. It's beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
    hugs and lots of love,
    edie

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAW, it's amazing what some turquoise paint will do to a piece! It looks wonderful and is so full of personality ... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job. I love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job...what a fabulous armoire! I ♥♥♥ it...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!