Dec 16, 2009

Day 51. The Teacher Becomes The Student.


We are all in school. All four of us. The kids are studying books. I am studying them.

What makes them feel?
What motivates them?
What makes their heart sad?
What makes their eyes sparkle?

I need to know these things. I desperately want to have deep meaningful relationships with my children all throughout their life. I am sure this is something that every mother wishes, but I wonder how often it comes true?

As an adult, I think about the relationships in my life. There are some that are my safe place.
I know what I will be met with when I go to them. An open heart. It's that simple.
Those are people that will drop anything to help you. No questions asked.
They have your back...and they have my heart too.

A beautiful example...a dear friend of mind offered to take my kids every afternoon for a whole week so that I could detox myself off caffeine. To allow me to go home and nap or be cranky.
Or maybe just to nurse my inevitable migraines. Her idea. Her suggestion. People like this amaze me. Inspire me. That is what makes me feel. This is what motivates me.
(and yes I am taking her up on it after Christmas!)

Those are people I cling to and want to be with. They watch for ways to help you. Not in something that will fit into their convenience or their plan. Just investing in each other. It's how I long to live my life, as well. Living outside of yourself. Living by loving people.

I need to invest time in my kids now. Lots of it. Being there, with no expectations on what I
will get back from them. No agenda. Loving them and becoming the safe place for their heart....For now and the days to come.

Today was an awesome family day. All home together. Multiple lasagnas made and in the freezer. Multiple loads of laundry completed. Multiple miles run on the treadmill and lot's of school done. Taylor particularly rocked her work today. 100 % on 2 quizzes and 2 tests. (earned her 12 sticks!)

I let Emma do art all day long. I was speaking her love language for sure. Just look at those eyes.

Now there are just 119 school days left until summer.
(and 2 days left until Christmas break, but who's counting?)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!