Dec 9, 2009

Day 47. The Top Three.



LOVIN' IT.

1. More time with my kids~ When my kids were in traditional school, I often felt like I never got to sit and talk to my kids or spend time with them. It was a constant to and from this and that type situation.
2. I have learned so much more about how my kids learn and function as little people. ~ watching them do school and seeing how they learn... What makes them tick. What makes them angry, happy, etc. I have learned so much about each one of them. Things that I didn't even know that I didn't know, I know am learning. This makes my relationship deeper with each of them. A very good thing.
3. flexibility~ I love being able to wake up and want to go to the park and GO. Perhaps do school at night instead of the day....in Jammies by the fireplace. Pick my own field trips...

HATIN' IT.

1. More time with my kids.~ Is there too much of a good thing? Claustrophobia has periodically set in. Costco, apts, grocery store, quick run in and out type of errands. UGH. Theses are times that I really miss traditional school. I always had Emma at home, but 1 is so much easier then 3. So fixing this one looks like this.... I need to be MUCH more organized. Go to the store with a list. (blehhhhh). Aim to go grocery shopping once a week, instead of multiple trips, etc. Also I need to include the kids in what is going on. For example, yesterday I went to Costco. I had them each write a list of things that we needed. They were responsible for finding them as we walked the aisles. Putting their items on the check out counter and bringing them into the house. It wasn't perfect, but much better then previous trips.
2. I have learned so much more about how my kids learn and function as little people. ~This has forced me to look at the kids and come to terms with the fact that who they are growing up to be is in large part due to the choices that I have made in parenting them. I can't minimize the areas they need to work on. Homeschool in a really weird way has slowed me down tremendously. In order to truly be successful at it. I have to understand my kids a lot better then I had in the past. I am spending time really identifying areas in the kids that I need to be better about teaching them how to work through some issues. Also finding a balance of how to help them grow through certain areas without babying them too much.
3. flexibility~ With greater flexibility comes a greater need for discipline. It is very hard some days to get up and do school. There is no one looking over my shoulder. One of the many reasons I do this blog. There is an accountability factor going on. As I gain more experience this year, I am able to take some time to look into learning styles and options. I also have a better ability to plan. I finally feel like I am able to sit down and make plans that actually make sense now, 46 days of school later and countless hours of prep time and research. That'll help too!

What an undertaking this has all been so far. Strange how the things I love and hate are the same. Funny how that happens so often in life.

We are on it today! School completed by 11 am....off to Taco Bell and my hair apt. God bless my hair chick! She has a separate garage turned salon. It's adorable. She has an enormous beautiful home with a trampoline, every game system imaginable, an adorable new puppy...and doesn't mind my kids coming along.

Now there are just 123 school days left until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!