Nov 24, 2009

Day 41. He Shall Supply.








So, my kids are not so happy about this. I discovered that there are unit tests in our curriculum. Maybe I am just oblivious as a parent, but I definitely do not remember this in school the last couple years. I think its kind of cool. Cameron does not. Tomorrow he will be tested on all the words he has learned so far this year in spelling/vocab. Any of them are fair game. Hmmmm. Same goes for science for him and history for Taylor.

School today began with a list of chores around the house and if you finished them in the allotted time, with no complaining, and then sat quietly at your desk...you received 2 sticks. For a brief moment in time, I had children that should live on the Truman show. This could become a new routine.

We went over the kids completed project that they had to do in Bible last week. It was on the character trait of orderliness. It entailed making a "to do chart" for a week. The kids did a really good job. One of Taylor's columns was a square to check off the squares on her calender. I adore her.

I am absolutely amazed at how many times I get the comment, "I could never homeschool my kids". Now, if you are reading this and have said that to me, please don't be offended. I have heard this two times, just today. I have talked to a couple homeschooling friends and they say they get the same comments. I guess it comes from one of three places... One~maybe homeschooling has interested them at some point and they have looked at it and decided it wasn't for them. Two~they think that homeschooling is so insane, that they could absolutely and would completely never consider it. Three~perhaps they just are simply commenting it isn't for them, or actually, maybe there is four.... Perhaps, it is intended as a complement. I don't know. I never quite know how to respond. It's not really that big of a deal other then how often I hear it.

All I can say is, I probably have said this to someone before homeschooling landed on my door. I have two thoughts about this now being on the "other side". First, I think as a parent you do what you have to do. When there is no other available options that work for you, due to a variety of reasons, you will do things you never thought you would or could.

The second and more important is, that when God leads you to do something, HE will enable you to do it. He doesn't enable you to do everything in the world before hand, just in case you might have to do it one day. He cares for the big things in our lives as well as the small. He provided the bathroom (painted a pretty Ralph Lauren metallic blue) that I hid in for 15 min., before my kids came looking for me today, he blessed me with the husband that is cool with me going out tonight to get some me time in Target, and he has surrounded me with school teacher friends and homeschool teacher friends to help my find my way in this foreign little world that I am living in.

Now there is 129 school days left until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!