Nov 4, 2009

Day 36. Just do it.



Today I am tired and my head just might actually explode. So, after a morning run for 64 ounces of caffeine and crushed ice, I declared it our first official jammie day.

I used to think that I a fairly disciplined person because I can accomplish a lot. Then I heard a sermon years ago that defined discipline as doing something you don't want to do. O.k., so today school was a matter of sheer discipline on my part, as my bed was calling out to me....loudly!

It is so awesome to me that every time I am in a shlumpy mood it seems that our work load for the day is super light. Today was no exception. Not sure what the deal was, but we got through school in 2 hours. Did everything.

I find it very interesting to watch how comfortable my kids are becoming with the whole home school thing. They are definitely testing their boundaries. For example, Taylor asks me today..."Mom, can I just copy Cameron's answers?" "um, why?" I ask. "I just don't feel like doing it." she says. Ironically the subject was Bible.

We had October's class store today. Prior to shopping time I worked the stick system to get some "complaining free cleaning" done. They could earn 5 sticks a piece for 5 chores done with no whining. 15 chores done for me while I stood in the kitchen and passed out pretty colored sticks. I am a genius. Then I dished out 5 more sticks a piece for 5 things that they liked best about school.

The kids are doing great at saving for their grand prizes. No tears today from Emma. She spent 20 of her sticks, Taylor spent 10, and Cameron spent 2. It's sooo funny to watch their personalities emerge in these situations. They love the ability to have the power to make the decisions to spend or save, but at the same time completely crave the answers from me on what they should do. I explain their choices, but absolutely do not tell them what to do.

Another day done. More lessons learned for all of us. Now there are just 134 school days left until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...I Love to hear from you!